May 21, 2022
The Ministry Studies concentration provides students with the opportunity to customize their studies for ministry in a local church, with a para-church organization, or with a mission agency.
Ministry Studies Concentration (18)
Master of Divinity
The Master of Divinity degree provides students with a comprehensive range of biblical-theological knowledge and practical skills for ministry leadership in a variety of contexts. Through a personalized curriculum, this program prepares students for effective ministry in a local church, with a para-church organization, or with a mission agency.
In addition to the mission statement and general objectives and requirements of a CBS degree, the objectives of the Master of Divinity degree are to enable students to:
Analyze and synthesize the basic content, context, and themes of the Old and New Testaments, with an emphasis on God’s historical-redemptive mission, as revealed through Scripture’s metanarrative and exemplified in the Great Commission.
- Practice sound exegesis and exposition of the biblical text in its original languages, with an emphasis on how passages speak to contemporary issues in individual and corporate contexts.
- Engage contemporary global challenges to orthodox belief and practice based on support from key biblical passages that undergird foundational doctrines, applying insights from the history of global Christianity to twenty-first-century issues, needs, and challenges.
- Analyze cultures and worldviews from a biblical perspective as the basis for effective, biblically-contextualized ministry that equips and encourages others to grow as disciples and disciple-makers in the church, mission field, and/or marketplace.
- Apply biblical principles, techniques, and paradigms to the practice of leadership, pastoring, preaching, teaching, and counseling.
- Demonstrate proficiency in ministry and organizational knowledge, skills, and attitudes gained through MDiv studies in a focused internship under the supervision of an on-site mentor and a faculty advisor.
The Master of Divinity degree is available fully online.
- Online application
- Application fee
- Affirm to be a Christian and agree with CIU’s Doctrinal Standard
- Official transcript for highest earned degree and any master’s level credits earned
- A minimum 2.5 GPA for the most recent degree obtained.
- Essay (800 words total)
- Church Leader Reference
Bible and Hermeneutics (12)
Choose one of the following Biblical Languages sequences (12)
History and Theology (12)
Worldview and Spiritual Formation (6)
Concentration and Internship (18)
Advanced Master of Divinity Option (Program 2)
Students who completed at least 30 hours of Bible and Theology in their undergraduate studies may take up to eighteen hours of advanced Bible and Theology courses as part of their core. The following table sets out those advanced courses in contrast to the foundational courses. This advanced option (program two) has been constructed to ensure adequate coverage and balance without unwarranted duplication of prior study. Where perceived duplication occurs in areas in addition to Bible and Theology, students may pursue advanced standing as described under Competency/Proficiency Examinations in the Academic Policy section of this catalog.
Full-Time Suggested Program of Study (with summers)
Part-Time Suggested Program of Study (with summers)