Purpose and Objectives
The M.A. in Bible Exposition provides students with specialized knowledge and skills to understand, apply, and communicate the Scriptures effectively on a regular basis in a local church context. It prepares students to teach or preach as a member of a church staff or as part of a para-church ministry.
In addition to the mission statement and general objectives and requirements of a CBS degree, the objectives of the M.A. in Bible Exposition degree are to enable students to:
- Practice sound exegesis and exposition of the biblical text
- Trace key themes in Scripture
- Demonstrate skill in communicating biblical truth
The Master of Arts in Bible Exposition degree is available fully online in an 8 week format or in a residential 16 week format.
- Online application
- Application fee
- Affirm to be a Christian and agree with CIU’s Doctrinal Standard
- Official transcript for highest earned degree and any master’s level credits earned with a minimum 2.5 GPA for the most recent degree obtained.
- Essay (800 words total)
- Church Leader Reference
Students may receive transfer credit for a maximum of two-thirds of the MA in Bible Exposition, subject to the provisions of CIU’s Transfer Credit Policy.
Dual Degree Credit
Students may apply credit from a previously completed graduate degree for a maximum of two-thirds of the MA in Bible Exposition. Students must satisfy all requirements for both degrees, including the integrative exercise or internship experience of each degree.
The expected time limit for completing all the requirements for the MA in Bible Exposition degree is ten years, measured from the date a student begins coursework in the degree. Students may request that courses completed outside the expected limit be reviewed by the dean’s office on a case-by-case basis.
Students must satisfy the following requirements in order to graduate:
- Complete all required hours of specified coursework with a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- Complete the supervised ministry experience component of the MA in Bible Exposition degree.
- Complete reading of the entire Bible following admission, including selections assigned in Bible courses. This requirement must be completed six weeks prior to graduation.
- Affirm CIU’s doctrinal statement.