The M.A. in Addictions Counseling provides graduates with general counseling knowledge and skills along with specialized knowledge and skills in addictions counseling that lead to licensure as an addictions counselor in SC and other states.
- Use effectively evidence-based treatments for a wide array of addictive behaviors.
- Create effective treatment and relapse prevention plans.
- Create and maintain an addictions counseling practice that follows the legal requirements for record keeping, confidentiality, and other professional standards.
- Assess for the presence of co-occurring mental and emotional disorders and integrate their treatment with treatment for addictive behaviors.
- Online application
- Application fee
- Affirm to be a Christian and agree with CIU’s Doctrinal Standard
- Official transcript for highest earned degree and any master’s level credits earned
- A minimum 3.0 GPA for the most recent degree obtained.
- Students whose GPA falls between 2.8 and 3.0 may be considered for admission on a conditional basis if they submit their requests in writing accompanied by appropriate rationale.
- Essay (800 words total)
- Professional Reference
- Online Interview
Students may receive transfer credit for a maximum of two-thirds of the MA Addictions Counseling degree, subject to the provisions of CIU’s Transfer Credit Policy.
Dual Degree Credit
Students may apply credit from a previously completed graduate degree for a maximum of two-thirds of the MA Addictions Counseling degree. Students must satisfy all requirements for both degrees, including the integrative exercise or internship experience of each degree.
The expected time limit for completing all the requirements for the MA Addiction Counseling degree is 10 years, measured from the date a student begins coursework in the MA Addictions Counseling degree. Students may request that courses completed outside the expected limit be reviewed by the dean’s office on a case-by-case basis.
Students must satisfy the following requirements in order to graduate:
- Complete all required hours of specified coursework with a minimum GPA of 3.0 with no grade lower than a “C.”
- Complete all practicum, candidacy, and internship requirements of the MA in Addictions Counseling degree.
- Affirm CIU’s doctrinal statement.