Purpose and Objectives
The M.A. Theological Studies (Chinese) program provides Chinese students with an interdisciplinary knowledge of biblical studies, church history, intercultural studies, and theology. It prepares students to engage in research and analysis that is informed by those disciplines and contributes to the advance of ministry in the church, missions, or marketplace.
In addition to the mission statement and general objectives and requirements of a CBS degree, the objectives of the M.A. (Theological Studies) degree are to enable students to:
- Interpret and apply the biblical text
- Explain, evaluate, and apply Bible doctrine
- Research and write for scholarly publication
The M.A. (Theological Studies) is available fully online in Chinese.
- Online application
- Application fee
- Affirm to be a Christian and agree with CIU’s Doctrinal Standard
- Official transcript for highest earned degree and any master’s level credits earned with a minimum GPA of 2.5 for the most recent degree earned
- Essay (800 words total)
- Church Leader Reference
Students may receive transfer credit for a maximum of two-thirds of the MA (Theological Studies), subject to the provisions of CIU’s Transfer Credit Policy.
Dual Degree Credit
Students may apply credit from a previously completed graduate degree for a maximum of two-thirds of the MA in Bible Exposition. Students must satisfy all requirements for both degrees, including the integrative exercise or internship experience of each degree.
The expected time limit for completing all the requirements for the MA (Theological Studies) degree is ten years, measured from the date a student begins coursework in the degree. Students may request that courses completed outside the expected limit be reviewed by the dean’s office on a case-by-case basis.
Students must satisfy the following requirements in order to graduate:
- Complete all required hours of specified coursework with a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- Complete the internship experience of the MA (Theological Studies) degree.
- Affirm CIU’s doctrinal statement.