Mar 01, 2024
The Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (M.A. in TESOL) prepares professional teachers of English as a foreign language with the knowledge and skills necessary to teach effectively in a variety of settings. This degree specializes in teaching both children and adults and prepares graduates for leadership roles in the field of teaching English as a Second Language. In addition, students take six hours of intercultural studies to prepare for living and teaching in another country and/or culture.
The M.A. in TESOL equips students to:
- Understand the major concepts of linguistics and English syntax.
- Apply knowledge of linguistics and Second Language Acquisition (SLA) theory to practical classroom instruction.
- Teach listening, speaking, reading, and writing at all levels of proficiency.
- Develop appropriate curriculum for all ages and levels of English Language Learners (ELLs).
- Demonstrate the integrity and quality of Christian educators.
- Assess all areas of language skills for the purpose of proficiency, placement, and achievement testing.
- Understand the dynamic cultural forces which affect teaching and ministry.
- Online application
- Application fee
- Affirm to be a Christian and agree with CIU’s Doctrinal Standard
- Official transcript for highest earned degree and any master’s level credits earned
- A minimum 2.5 GPA for the most recent degree obtained.
- Essay (800 words total)
- Church Leader Reference
The time limit for completion of all requirements is ten years, measured from the date a student begins coursework in the M.A. in TESOL program.
Course credits earned at another institution may be counted toward the M.A. in TESOL degree, but a minimum of one-third of the course credits required for the degree must be taken at Columbia International University. Transfer credit must be approved by the student’s advisor and dean.
- A minimum GPA of 2.5.
- Read the entire Bible following admission, including selections assigned in Bible courses. This requirement must be completed six weeks prior to graduation.
Students who complete the M.A. in TESOL degree receive a Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) certificate upon graduation.
The M.A. in TESOL is available fully online. Please contact Admissions for further information.
Intercultural Studies Core (6)
- Choose two courses from ICS Credits: 6