Purpose and Objectives
The MA in Ministry Studies degree provides students with specialized knowledge and skills to serve as a member of a leadership team in a local church or para-church context. It prepares students to equip and mobilize believers for Christcentered spiritual formation that overflows into Kingdom-focused living.
In addition to the mission statement and general objectives and requirements of a Columbia Biblical Seminary (CBS) degree, the objectives of the MA in Ministry Studies degree are to enable students to:
- Articulate the purpose and principles of ministry leadership
- Develop leadership strategies for missional renewal within a current realm of influence, including a theological foundation and accountability structure
- Communicate biblical truth with the goal of life transformation
The MA in Ministry Studies degree is available fully online in an 8-week format or in a residential 16-week format. This program is also available through CBTE (Competency Based Theological Education) .
- Online application
- Application fee
- Affirm to be a Christian and agree with CIU’s Statement of Faith
- Official transcript for highest earned degree and any master’s level credits earned with a minimum 2.5 GPA for the most recent degree obtained.
- Essay (800 words total)
- Church Leader Reference
Students may receive transfer credit for a maximum of two-thirds of the MA in Ministry Studies, subject to the provisions of CIU’s Transfer Credit Policy.
Dual Degree Credit
Students may apply credit from a previously completed graduate degree for a maximum of two-thirds of the MA in Ministry Studies. Students must satisfy all requirements for both degrees, including the integrative exercise or internship experience of each degree.
The expected time limit for completing all the requirements for the MA in Ministry Studies degree is ten years, measured from the date a student begins coursework in the degree. Students may request that courses completed outside the expected limit be reviewed by the dean’s office on a case-by-case basis.
Students must satisfy the following requirements in order to graduate:
- Complete all required hours of specified coursework with a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- Complete the supervised ministry experience component of the MA in Ministry Studies degree.
- Complete reading of the entire Bible following admission, including selections assigned in Bible courses. This requirement must be completed six weeks prior to graduation.
- Affirm CIU’s Statement of Faith.